by William Moultrie
Charleston – The conventional wisdom is that a first-term U.S. Senator would need to spend a lot of time in the state campaigning for re-election, but the conventional wisdom rarely applies to South Carolina politics.
Faced with nascent opposition at home, DeMint spent his campaigning time and money propping up the lunatic fringe of the Republican party, guaranteeing himself a spot on our countdown.
DeMint was never likely to have much trouble winning a second term in the Senate, but Alvin Greene’s surprise appearance as his Democratic opponent sealed it. With victory tied up in June, some politicians would be tempted to sit back, hold a few fundraisers, and enjoy the time away from the campaign trail. But Jim DeMint is not your everyday politician.
So what do you do when you have a lot of time and money on your hands that you don’t have to spend campaigning for reelection?
Well, he backed a bevy of Senate contenders, raising millions in an effort to put people like Christine “Wacky Witch of Wilmington” O’Donnell into the U.S. Senate. O’Donnell alone netted around $300,000 from DeMint’s Social Conservatives Fund. DeMint didn’t make a lot of new friends in the GOP when a few of his upstarts lost in the general election and may well have cost the Republicans control of the Senate.
But he didn’t stop there…
He reaffirmed his stance that homosexuals and sexually active single women are unfit to teach in schools; tried to shut down PBS when they fired Juan Williams; blocked an investigation into the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico; and threatened to shut down the United States Senate unless every single piece of proposed legislation was run through his office for approval.
Jim was a busy boy this year, and we expect even bigger things from him in the future.
Jim DeMint as featured in theDiscust:
- Sesame Street defiantly changing Elmo from red to blue
- Christine O’Donnell admits she cursed SC Senate race
- DeMint issues new demands in Senate standoff
- A tempting new candidate for Senate
- DeMint returns salary, plans opt-out of Social Security
- Jim DeMint joins the cast of Glee at the White House
- DeMint discusses “C Street Family”
- DeMint scores victory in the war on unionism
- DeMint denies foreign intervention, claims Honduran getaway with male companions
- Ken Burns’ National Parks documentary to highlight DeMint’s contributions
- Senator Jim DeMint In Denied Health Insurance Horror
- DeMint launches hunger strike to combat Obama health care proposal